fredag 5. februar 2016

It Matters How I Live –


My choices in life affect my society, since they affect others around me. It is a simple truth, but easily neglected in our individualistic outlook. Even what I do behind closed doors matter. My behavior is always affecting others. I do not exist in solitude, in a vacuum. I exist – only - in a relationship with someone else, with the other.

It strikes me that both my freedom and morality are intrinsically bound up with the other. There is a sense of general and common good that directs, perhaps dictates, my path. What is good for humanity is good for me as a human, and likewise for others. My responsibility to the other is almost obligatory, and in that sense, I would say it dictates. And why is it so? If the truth is that the other confirms me as a person, a human being, I need the other to know myself. And this is reciprocal.

Agents acting upon agents – yes; but how is this in the relationship to God? We have not the same inter-dependence. God is God. I am I. He does not need me, as I need him. We are not exactly of the same kind. I see that because he first loved me, I love him. Because he called me to himself, I come. How does this reflect my freedom? Some (reformed theologians) will say that God’s grace is irresistible, and in essence my will is not fully free. But is there such a thing as free will – as in unrestrained, undefined, random ‘will’? It is not normally will to something?
            Perhaps the will is autonomous, governed by none but itself – but it must always relate in order to be real.

I recently came across an article by Mark Cauchi, Unconditioned by The Other: Agency and Alterity in Kant and Levinas.[1] It started my thinking about the necessary interplay between myself and the other, again.
The table is set




















[1] Idealistic Studies, Volume 45, Issue 2, ISSN046-8541

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar