mandag 29. mai 2017

Coming in to the Sacred Space



Early in the morning, as the cuckoo sends its signals, the grass is still wet from dew, and the buzzy bugs are still sleeping, I step out into the small chapel. I can close the door behind me, kneel or sit before an open Bible, with an icon of the living Christ near it. I light some small candles.
I have some prayer books, and my favourite one is a pocket size Orthodox Prayer book. One morning I went through ‘the small Compline’.
The prayers are humble, and I sensed the awe of God, his majesty and his grandeur. “Lord, have mercy,” I prayed. I read the confessions, the prayers, the promises of restoration. I sang from the Psalms.  Christ is the mighty God, the one who holds all things together.

An awe settled upon me, and I was comforted by his grace and mercy. I was sitting there, staring into the icon, the candles, the texts, and I knew He is real; he is there.
I came into the presence of the sacred: I breathed in the presence of the King.

I let my mind wander towards a young friend, one who holds his fist towards God these days, one who wants to be lord of his own life and perhaps have Jesus as his prime minister – or perhaps more like a secretary. As I sat in the presence of the Holy One, I saw the futile fist; it was downright silly. I thought of the ants that have nested by the front door. They rise up on their hind legs and want to fight me. Their little stick- legs wave frantically in the air. I am not afraid. In due time I may have someone professional come and remove them. I am the lord of my house.

The Lord of the Universe sees us.
These days I am awestruck by his majesty; I am a happy and humble soul, knowing full well that without His grace and mercy, I am nothing.
With Him we have confession, forgiveness and restoration.
With Him we have hope, and life way beyond the limits of this earthly existence.
This space is sacred.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar