fredag 24. februar 2017

The House - Moving in Slowly



We are in the process of moving. We are in the process of making the house our home.  I have tried my hand at wall papering this week. There is a bedroom upstairs we now call ‘the library’ – and it is going to house quite a number of the books. Since we plan to fill it up with bookshelves, I wondered if I really should bother with the walls behind them, but then we got some shelves without the traditional backing, and they inspired me to change the walls. I’ll put up some photos (on demand!), and if you wish, you may be part of the process…


A house is only fulfilling its intention if it is a home to someone or something. I already feel like this house is a place where I have the freedom to be me. It has friendly measures when I try to remodel; smooth ride, so far.

Before...
The room had original wall paper from 1946, and it was well worn, with numerous nail in the walls, and the corners were wrinkled. A bit of prepping was needed, but I opted to no remove all the old wall paper. I tested it out on liquid and saw it would stick.







I have not done much wall papering in my life, so I had to google a bit to get some good pointers. I like the website Vi i Villa. I learnt about corners and the rub down of the old wall paper with sanding blocks. It was a very dusty job, so the old vacuum cleaner that came with the house was very useful.


First wall done:)  Brilliant colors and patterns, don't you think?? Is this really my choice? It is. I am no minimalist and I do not care for interior with all white and light grey - but the walls - behind the shelves, they may do well with the serene look.
I found the wall paper at Claes Ohlsson in Kongsberg. Perhaps the price was inviting - ! - typical me.

Here in Norway it was not easy to find pre-pasted wallpaper, like the ones we had in the States. Here we use glue, and I smear glue on the wall.How much? I don't know. Enough, for sure.


 Here is a peak at the living room.
Moving is a messy affair, even if it is for short distances!

View from the living room
            

 It is starting to take shape . Two opposing walls will have the stripes and two will be in single colour, light grey.    
I measure the lengths on the floor, and I have a nice, sharp X-acto cutter, a metal square (vinkeljern) and a cutting board. The walls are 2.5 m (8.2ft)  tall, and the length f wall paper kept rolling back up, and I was struggling with them. then I hunted around in the well stocked living room for something that could function as weights on the bottom - and that helped my frustration.



The Wall. Dad likes it! Then it is good. It is nice when he complements my efforts in such a genuine way.
I just had to  put in a picture from the kitchen;) Unique. It stays.





                                             



I

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar