mandag 18. mai 2015

EurECA!


Proem
I attended a conference in the greater Warsaw area, a EurECA conference. And indeed, I was enlightened and inspired! We were in the small village of Inowlodz, at the Proem Christian Ministries centre.
           EurECA is a European Educators' Christian Association. We are people from various Christian protestant traditions, from different walks of life and in different professions, but uniting in our interest in and concern for what is means to be a Christian teacher. Some of us work in Christian schools, some in state schools. Some are teachers, principals or academic scholars, others are curriculum developers, course developers, missionaries, church planters, kindergarten teachers, special ed-teachers... We were gathered in a Christian camp site in Poland, a country with 0.01% protestant Christians. We were from 17 different nations, and the African continent was also represented, and so was Israel.


    I work in a Christian school in Norway, and it made me think again: what is it that defines a Christian school? How do we live it? We have great conditions, a government which gives us freedom to define our profile. Are we bold enough? One of the headteachers1 from England said it in a beautifully simple way: "A Christian school is where Christ is present."
          I am not an advocate for a 'campaign' school, where there is one view on most matters. I do not think that is academically, or scientifically, beneficial. I do, however, encourage the Christian world view to saturate all we teach. Did I say THE Christian world view? I did. It is not the detailed oriented, case-based opinion I seek, but a basic attitude that honours God in all we do.

          I was greatly encouraged to speak with seasoned men from France who were still on fire for starting Christian schools with a protestant persuasion. They are facing an almost militant opposition from the government. There is no public funding for anything. Teachers work for free - supported by a spouse, new schools emerge. Why? Because they see the need. Parents want to have their children educated in a Christian environment..., a clearly defined Christian environment, with values, attitudes, reflecting the Christian message. And who was the first to sign up his child? - The Imam! Next family had Jewish roots, but were believers. The third family was Catholic, and gradually more students came. I was inspired by the dedication of my brothers. I was inspired to see God at work in Bulgaria, Rumania, in Portugal, in the Netherlands, in Germany...


          The fellowship of the believers was remarkable. God was there. As we shared hardships and blessings from the various places, we had a time of prayer for the nations. There was unity. I was encouraged by listening to the story of the first Christian national school in Israel, all the miracles in the midst of obstacles.

We had a key note Speaker, Albert Hoekstra from Holland, who works for an organization and think-tank called Xpand. The task given him for the conference was to speak aboutMentoring – Support and encouragement in education”.His focus was on building relations and having a mentor as well as being a mentor. He brought in his Christian world view into the concepts.
           I will need to digest more of his ideas, and re-read my notes, ponder and interact, go deeper into addressing who I am and how I function. What he gave us were tools, concepts, and we need to make use of them in our own setting. He also spoke about conflict solving - in personal relations. But - as I said: I need to reflect on this before I can say anything.
           He spoke much about beauty - in art - in nature - and I tuned in with all my senses. God is known through our senses, as well as in our minds, through language - both verbal and non-verbal:)

We have so much to give, so much hope, so much joy
in the salvation from God through our Lord Jesus!
We have the good life, and we have all this life to share it!
May we be bold and shape our culture:)


http://www.eureca-online.org/conferences/



1(in our gender-conscious age, we do nat say 'head master' any longer)


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar