torsdag 2. juli 2015

Entitled to Happiness?


She is rich, smart and beautiful. Therefore she sees herself entitled to be happy.
What is the problem with this? For one, it is a lie. Second, what is happiness?

If anyone is entitled to be happy, all are.
Naturally, this brings up the question: what is happiness? Is it primarily a feeling, a sweet enjoyment of the moment? Is it primarily an act, satisfaction of want or need?
Is it a rational expression?   Or is it a state of being, an underlying contentment?

What makes me happy? Frankly, there are many things, but the more important factors are those which are benefitting others, and not myself. It is a great satisfaction in giving, helping, sharing, because it is an expression of love. Happiness is expressing love to fellow beings. Another thing is the satisfaction of a job well done, a finished project, a task mastered.  There is happiness in work, in doing things.
            Aesthetics, the contemplation of beauty, in music, poetry, artwork, design, architecture, the moments of sudden beauty in the ordinary, this contemplation is a great source of happiness, as a feeling, a sweet enjoyment of the moment. To enjoy the beauty of another person is in this category, also to enjoy friendship, kinship, being kindred spirits, and the sweet development of love between a man and a woman, is in in this category.
            Happiness is also a choice, in choosing to be content with who you are and what you have. It is a state of being.
            What it is not is a rational sense of entitlement: “I deserve to be happy, because…”Being rich, smart and beautiful will not give anyone any further rights in the realm of happiness, but anyone is free to chose the way of serving others, of savouring the beauty of the given, and endorse what you cannot change with contentment.

Now, you may wonder: why did I not say: God makes me happy? Jesus gives me life and joy and happiness. Yes, indeed, He does. I do believe, though, that it is a human trait to be happy and seek happiness. Jesus is the best example of shoving love: he gave himself fully for us. Because I am loved, I can show love; because I am satisfied in my inner being, I can share my happiness. Perhaps I may ponder this aspect further another time.

            

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar