tirsdag 21. juli 2015

Goodbye, Theotokos


I have been interested in the Eastern Orthodox Church tradition for some time, and I value much of the worshipful and humble attitude toward God and to life, which I meet there. I fully thrive in the grandeur of God, of the positive outlook on lived Christian life, of the depth of the Incarnation.  I treasure the prayers and the liturgy of John Chrysostom and St. Basil. I have a small blue pocket prayer book and I pull it up in different occasions. It is a small treasure. The only things I omit are the references to Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ.
Theotokos means God-bearer, and since Jesus is God, the Son, in the Trinity, she is referred to as the ‘Mother of God’.  Personally I have an issue with this glide: from being the earthly mother of Jesus Christ to be called the Mother of God. In the triune understanding of the Christian God, there is God, the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit. They are one. And lady Mary is not ‘mother’ to the complete concept. She is not in any sense a ‘mother’ to God, the Father. Neither is she in any sense mother in relations to God as Father.
Theotokos of the Seven Arrows
In his explanation to the Orthodox understanding of Mary, Theotokos, St. John Maximovitch, the late archbishop of Shanghai and San Fransisco, asserts in his book ”The Orthodox Veneration of the Mother of God” that she is an active intercessor for the Christians, that she is a comforter, one who bestows grace and mercy on people. She was chosen at an early age for her task, and according to tradition lived a pure life. The Orthodox teaching admits that she as born in the same state as all humans: fallen away from God, but that she was brought up by God-fearing parents and led an immaculate life. In connection with this, the bishop also stresses the importance of Mary being a virgin for life; not only at the conception of Jesus, but that she never married, but dedicated her life to God. She had no other children.
In contrast, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that Mary was born sinless, without the ability to sin: her immaculate conception. Both traditions see the ever-virginity of Mary as a dogma. This focus on continuing virginity baffles me. Not only is it counter to clear passages in the New Testament where there is a clear reference to Jesus’ siblings, but I also see no point in further childlessness as saintly. To have many children is a sign of honour, a great blessing, a treasure. Barrenness is a curse. She is no less venerated for her role as the mother of Jesus because of further children.
Mary is no co-redemptress in the Orthodox Church tradition, as she has become in many Roman Catholic circles. Only Jesus is the Saviour.  Still, when it comes to the veneration, the prayers and supplications made to her, for instance in the service Akathist, the practice has become one of worship. She is titled the Queen of Heaven, Defender of our souls, one who has delivered the faithful from dangers, and has invincible powers…the unwedded Bride…
One of our friends who prays in the Syrian Orthodox church, explained the attitude to Mary and the saints as follows: If I asked you to pray for me, would you do it? And we would say: Yes. In the same way he would ask the saints that had gone before us to pray for him, for they are also alive, and in heaven. I see the reasoning, but my main issue with this is: We do not interact with the dead. The only one we can pray to is the One who rose from the dead: Jesus. And he teaches us to pray to God. There is no precedence in the New Testament for addressing the dead. This is a later tradition which does not have Christian roots.
         
Icon of Mother and Child
  
There are many traditions around the life and death of Mary. Where they come from, I am not the right one to say – Archbishop Maximovitch lists references to her birth, childhood, family line, dedication to God, her departure from this life and entry into Heaven. I have no need to give heed to any of this, for to me she is a servant of the Lord a sister in the faith, and I believe I will see her in heaven. Until then, I may honour her humble and willing example, but she only points me to Jesus Christ. That is her role, as is anyone’s role in the testimony of the living Lord.  So, I say: Goodbye, Theotokos, and ‘au revoir’, Miriam.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar