torsdag 3. september 2015

If I do not believe in evolution, why do I act like I do?


Perhaps I am frustrated by relativism and incompleteness because I am so used to thinking in terms of causality. Whether I really admit to it or not, I seem to believe that throughout life we develop  - evolve - into becoming wiser...better… greater...

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/
blog/2013/02/the-blind-faith-needed-in-evolution/
Without realizing it, perhaps I do have a sense of evolution built into my expectations about life. It is frustrating when I do not see the lines, do not see progress, do not see knowledge built upon knowledge to lead to something: something better, deeper, or even perhaps greater. Maybe my whole model of thinking is futile, futile because it is unreal.

I do not believe in evolution; I admit there are variations within the species, but no macroevolution. So why would I anticipate a growth towards something else, something more advanced, something beyond what I already am in my make-up?  Now, that is an interesting perspective.


I am who I am, and I am surrounded by eternity in time and infinity in space.

As who I am, I mature. Maturity is fruit ripening; the metaphoric image of a tree and natural growth of its fruits shows the life process. I can never creep out of my own skin. I don’t mean to sound fatalistic, because we do have responsibility for how we live. Still, there is a great peace in the very concept that I simply am.
           
            I am also a Christian; I became a Christian in my teenage years, so, yes: I have changed fundamentally in one sense. I have a new beginning, new life, new spirit – one that connects with God. But also in this I simply am. It is not a path where I shall become something else, although I am prone to think that way.

I often tell myself: God is. That is the reason for my being. God defines me. I believe that, but do I act upon it? Sometimes, yes. But – before long I am back into thinking causality, movement, change, betterment, and act upon an undefined evolutionary attitude to life.

Will I ever learn? Probably not.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar