mandag 27. april 2015

What Defines a Person?

As I reflect upon some of these aspects, I realize that all personal developments happen in relations. We live in primary or secondary relations to each other. It seems unreal to think of developing a sense of identity in isolation.
          The great commandments: "Love the Lord, your God with all your heart, your mind and your strength" and "Love your neighbour as yourself" reveal the core of constructive relations: love + the object of love.
          In the personal encounter, one meets the other in a mutual recognition, but this also implies a mutual responsibility. In essence this responsibility is moral: because the other (person) confirms me, I am in debt, and responsible for the good of the other. In meeting the Other (God), I also enter into a mutual relationship, which is a truly defining encounter, for I face my origin and the origin of love.
          In all our roles in life, we live in relations. In a sense, then, the core of my identity is not as much in myself, as it is in this relation between myself and the other.

*********************************************************************************

In a series of thoughts I may reflect on this from time to time, as we ponder the sacred space and time. For who are we, that we should experience an audience with the King of the Universe?  

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar