onsdag 18. november 2015

Celebrate Life


It is hard to talk about mundane things in times of distress. Still in these early morning hours families cry for their loved ones, mourn their loss.
celebrate life

            When we heard the news about the attack on people in Paris, I was on a trip with my colleagues to Malaga. In our group we celebrated life, joy, fellowship, building community in so many ways, and we look forward to the future. I wanted to share about what I sought and found, what I cherished there – but these are mundane things. Still, we want to celebrate life in the face of vicious destruction.
            The words of Jesus ring in my ears: “Turn the other cheek” (do not retaliate). “Do not respond with evil towards evil; love your enemies” I know He is speaking to our hearts, to guide and to console us. He says: “Do not fear. I am with you.”
            Of course we become sad and fearful in the wake of terrorist acts like the one in Paris. I was milling with crowds in Malaga, people were out to have social time in the evening, just like people were in Paris…
            I know there is a way to prepare for such moments, for such unexpected acts of violence: Always be ready to meet our Maker. Jesus says: I am with you. That is all we need to eliminate the cause of fear. That we still may huddle, shivering with fear, to His presence, is another story. Even if I can’t think straight, He is there. Even when I am beside myself with fright, He is there. He says: Do not fear. That constitutes a solid foundation for my faith. In faith I flee to Him, in prayer.
            And this happens also with many in France these days. In fear, anger, disbelief, they seek Him. Only He can snuff out the bitter root of retaliation. He is the giver of life. He died, so that we should live. Celebrate life!

And pray for your enemies.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar