onsdag 25. november 2015

Do Not Worry. Do Not Fear.

Do not worry?
But I do.
I have a loved one in transit, travelling far and wide, touching down in the Arab world, travelling over Turkish airspace. I ache, but can do nothing. I trust; I pray. I count hours. At least he has not had any complicated encounters on this trip: No aids-stricken individuals who might threaten him, no lawless driver to run into him. I am grateful. He has reported about many good encounters with people of different backgrounds. He has enjoyed himself fully.
            It is only the journey home, now, I await with some trepidation. There are conflicts, political issues, and he is just and ordinary American in transit.
            Someone asked me today why travelling with an American passport was more risky than travelling with a Norwegian one. I heard myself say something about being a target of terror…and started to think: Why is there any reason at all? There should be no explanation; there should be no reason.

Do not worry.
But I do.
Until I know that the last plane on the trip is safely landed in Oslo, I will not be at ease.
So, I pray in my heart, and cling to the Lord. He knows I am uptight about it; and this is my peace: that I, tense and high-strung, with fear and impatience, come to God.

Naturally, we live in a world where we at any time may face death, but this we live quite happily with. It is when the threat is made visible to me that I sense the fear.

Yes, the recent terror acts have made me less interested in travelling places, visiting Europe. I have some tentative plans to go to Rome to explore and later to Lisbon for a conference in the spring, but I am not sure I will carry it out. In one sense some of my freedom is challenged.
            I say: I will not be ruled by fear. I say: No one defines me but God. And yet, I seek to hide. May the Lord God embolden me; may He win my heart, and help me go about my life without hesitation.

It is natural to fear violence. I have been so blessed with kind and warm and caring people around me, and they help me stay on the narrow path. They encourage me to do what is good. ‘Love your enemies’, says Jesus. I have not understood what an enemy is, really. I have never met one. I have no desire to meet one, either. But should the situation arise, may the Lord take hold of me and work in my heart. I am not sure I would be meek and humble – should, for instance anything happen to those I love…


Lord, have mercy. Guide me and guard me. For Yours is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory for ever end ever. Amen
on the road to...

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar