fredag 22. januar 2016

Climate in the Kingdom of Heaven


 We have had a week of focus on climate and climate change here at our school. We listened to different people speak – a scientist in meteorology and climate research, an activist, a journalist – and bits from engaging teachers and such. The week started with a church service.

It is not so much what was said, which I will be commenting on. It all has its valid place in the scope of things. Overall, I think there could have been some more variety in the views presented, since we are a school and would like to encourage critical thinking. Anyway, I am going to comment on some of the things which were unsaid, even if they somehow were understated.

Emission of polluting gases influence to some degree the temperature in our atmosphere, and according to the scientist’s prognosis, the temperature will continue to rise. This trend may be so severe that it destroys the earth as a planet which sustains life.


If this is so, what is a Christian response?

Naturally, we should do what we can to change the trend. But it does not start there.
I believe in God, the Father, maker of heaven and earth.
Whatever I do, say, however I spend my time, resources, abilities, all what I am – I live in response to Him.

I know God is the creator AND the sustainer of this earth. There is nothing hidden from Him. He sees the trends; he knows the swings in temperature. Should the earth meet its destruction and burn up, it would not do so unless God permits it.


This brings us to the blurry field of prophecy and apocalypse. The bible tells about the end of this world, but what does it mean?  I could read it literally; but I could also see that it is written in images, and it is not so obvious what it then means.

What is absolutely clear, though, is the call to repentance – and it should be stated much clearer by me and others: If it is so that this world will come to its end: be saved and live in the Kingdom of Heaven forever!

I am not trying to avoid any sort of responsibility for living responsibly in the years have left of my life; however, I have the great hope for the future that God is in charge of this earth. God is the Ruler of the universe and the Lord of history.

For so long he has been patient and he wants all to be saved and live forever.  The fate of people’s souls in eternity is much more crucial than anything else. This is on God’s heart. He so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Perhaps will the earth perish – but it is not the end of life! Perhaps will it burn as a fireball, but whoever believes in Him, has everlasting life.

Perhaps will He renew this earth; but still the salvation is at hand by receiving the Light of Life, who is Jesus.

No, I am no deist. I do not believe in a god who once started this world and then withdrew, letting the organisms take their own course. I do not believe in a remote and disinterested god. And I do not believe that the mess me have caused we must strive to fix alone. I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth. And I believe in Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the world.

Somehow this perspective was missing both in our church service and in the presentations in our Christian school.

That aspect we will change, for the climate in the Kingdom of Heaven is one of life sustainable temperature. By the power of the Holy Spirit, we will share this hope for the future with anyone who will hear.






Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar