lørdag 2. januar 2016

When the Shepherd Strays



“A mortal, born of woman, few of days and full of trouble,

    comes up like a flower and withers,
    flees like a shadow and does not last.

Do you fix your eyes on such a one?
    Do you bring me into judgment with you?

Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?
    No one can.”  [1]

I read this passage and more in the book of Job today.

I had glanced at a minister’s blog, hoping to find some words of wisdom, but there was only an aggressive expression in rhythmic noise and screams about killing.
           So, I turned to the Bible and the book of Job.
           What is important in life?

            I read some more – in the book of Ezekiel, the prophet. I was looking for words of warning that lingered in my mind. He says that if I make an effort to warn someone who is going down the wrong path, does some deliberate sin, it is up to the person to respond, but I have redeemed myself. If I do not give any warning, however, I am partly responsible for the consequences of judgment upon the person. [2]


          

            I take it to heart, and find justification in what we refer to as the ‘common priesthood’, meaning that we are not dependent on special people, by birth or by training, to officiate message from the Lord. I still yearn for a shepherd, though, a leader in my local setting, someone who cares about tending the sheep. (My language is littered with religious imagery today.)


There is a rather strong warning to selfish shepherds who do not care for tending the sheep – chapter 34 of Ezekiel. They have not done what is expected of them in their position, and the responsibility is taken away from them. And what is the responsibility of a shepherd? To tend the sheep, you strengthen the weak, nurse the sick and bind up the wounds of the wounded. You bring back, or bring together, what has been driven apart, and to seek the lost to bring them back. And the strong needs to be properly tended to, not held down in abuse.

            Naturally, I see the shepherd as a pastor, priest, or bishop, who cares for the spiritual wellbeing of his congregation. We need sessions of teaching, to strengthen the ones who are weak in knowledge of the Lord. We need to tend to physical needs among us – yes, we have doctors and such; yes, we have good health care in our political system, but we still need each other and to show care. What about healing of human relationships? Man, we are so starved. And what about seeking the lost? Who are lost? Aren’t most of our fellow townsmen in that category? And how are the strong tended?

I am not trying to heap loads of guilt upon a single individual or two who are paid in the position of shepherd – but a leader is important. A leader may instruct others to carry out the needs. A shepherd can only lead if he knows the way,… the truth and the life. A good shepherded is himself shepherded by the Shepherd, Lord Jesus.

            After all, what is important in life?




[1] Job 14:1-4
[2] Ezekiel 3:16-21. The passage deals with the prophet’s role and warnings to Israel.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar