søndag 17. januar 2016

The Cathedral. Agnus Dei



Some time ago I was with my colleagues on a trip, and we had a day in Granada in southern Spain, visiting the main cathedral.

Interacting with the sacred space is second nature to me. I went to the tourist entrance of the cathedral, paid my ticket fee, and moved in a dimly lit room. It was confusing. There was no clear direction from this side entry. I was met with sets of local saints of sorts, or statues of dignitaries who had bequeathed the church is some way.
            Good architecture leads, gives directions, and I was lost in this massive stone building. I decided to find the main entrance. And when I did, I turned and envisioned a real entry. Even though the room was wide, and there were small niches, it had clear direction. The altar was in a central place, and with my eyes fixed on it, I needed not think about where to go.
Behind the altar there is normally a sort of altarpiece, and in this cathedral I was curious – because I could not make out what was up on the pedestal. It was nothing I recognized. I normally would expect an image of Jesus and the cross, or even Madonna with child – but not in this church. I walked up, as close as I could, and wondered. Then I saw it: It was a small lamb lying down, and with it was a small banner. This was the Lamb of God. This was the image from the Book of Revelations. This was a significant signal about Jesus’ victory, his meekness, his humble heart. I looked at the unassuming little lamb, although gilded in its artistry; it was the symbol of God’s love.

Cathedral in Granada

I see images, pictures in the news of Pope Francis. Although I am concerned that he breaks down some walls of upholding morality, I see him also showing compassion. I know in the depth of my heart that without love we are nothing, as Paul says in his letter to the Corinthians. And at the same time I know that the moral code we have in biblical teaching is an expression of God’s love. We need boundaries. We need to hear and be strengthened in our inner being about what is right and good.
            The image of Agnus Dei, resting and with the banner of victory, expresses the unique love of Christ. From being high and exalted, the pinnacle of all might and power, he chose to give the way of redemption for people. It cost him all status, honour, comfort – it cost him his life as he was tortured and executed slowly. Why, I ask – why did he do it? This is love, lived love. True love.

Agnus Dei, altar piece

It is Sunday morning, and in an hour I will be going to church. We live in a village, and the church is open once a week, on Sunday mornings. I go there to meet with God.  I pray often during the weekday – it has become natural after all these years; and I love my little blue Orthodox Prayer book. If I could choose freely a fellowship to celebrate mass with, it would be the Eastern Orthodox Church, Russian branch. But there are no local Orthodox churches here. I wish to withdraw from the present Norwegian church, which used to be Lutheran, but has now taken a direction of denying Christ’s atoning work for sins. The leadership may not see it yet, but they have naively opened up for forces which work contrary to the message of sin and redemption.

Agnus Dei – qui tollis peccata mundi - dona eis requiem!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar